Friday, August 22, 2014

WHITE FLOWERS

I love white flowers - they have a sophistication and romanticism all of their own, giving a garden special highlights. They really come into their own at dusk when coloured flowers, such as the blue and purple ones, disappear with the light.  Not so with white flowers - they really glow and shine.  Sometimes I add small white star or daisy shaped flowers to my paintings to bring them to life.
In my garden the year started with a beautiful white camellia and as the year went on there were arum lilies, foxgloves, roses, love in the mist, pelargoniums and different varieties of hydrangeas - all  in various shades of white.  A few of these flowers are pictured above. I would like to go for the simplicity of an all white garden, such as Vita Sackville-West 's famous white garden at Sissinghurst, Kent, but my husband insists on some colour!



No comments:

Post a Comment