At the gallery we like to change the window regularly, with little or no budget! I have found that Hobbycraft in Yeovil is a fantastic source of cheap display material. For instance, in the latest Spring window, I have used a couple of pieces of artificial grass to set the scene. They were £5 for a 90cm strip that can be used time and time again. The plain white paper bunting was only £2.50! I painted it in suitable bright Spring colours...
The large wooden flower which I used as the centrepiece of the front window, I found in a charity shop some time ago. It was in need of a repair and repaint. It now lives on a window sill at home, when not called upon to contribute to the window dressing!
Friday, March 17, 2017
Sunday, March 12, 2017
As there are many drifts of daffodils brightening up our neighbourhood, I decided to use them as the inspiration for my latest gift bags to put in the gallery. It is a subject that I have done before, as every Spring I marvel at their beauty...
Sunday, March 5, 2017
These six samples are postcard sized, and are inspired by doors and doorways. I did them for a sketchbook that I started at the beginning of the year, looking for images or symbols representing each month, that I can use as a starting point for larger abstract paintings...
As January is named after Janus - God of the Doorway, doors seemed an appropriate subject to explore. The techniques used were, layering of acrylic paints, and scratching through. To finish off, I covered both sides with clear acrylic wax, and added lines of machine stitching. I can see that, some of these designs and colour schemes, could work as the basis for interpretation into much larger artworks...
Friday, February 24, 2017
I have just made some more bookmarks. I used natural brown coloured card stock, which I felt was too flimsy to use as cards. I stuck the two sides together, and cut them in half vertically, to create two bookmarks. These were then collaged in several layers, with various papers and punched out images, which were outlined with a thin black marker and white gel pen.
The photographs, above and below, show both sides of the bookmarks. To finish off, a hole was punched at the top, with ribbon, a gift tag and brown envelope added, so they can be sold as a present and card all-in-one!
Sunday, February 19, 2017
This weekend it was Shepton's first Snowdrop Festival, which has been organised by the local Horticultural Society. It is in honour of James Allen (1830 - 1906), who lived in the town and was the first person to breed snowdrops from wild varieties. Above, is the window at the One Craft Gallery, that I and a fellow maker, put together for the event. Members of our co-operative had contributed by producing artworks, and wares inspired by snowdrops. We were given a special award by the organisers for our efforts!
All the images above and below, were taken last Friday at Shepton Market, when the festival started. The town was awash with snowdrop images - from stencilled pavements to colourful planters. There were also the plants for sale - I never knew there were so many varieties! Each had its own name and special features.
A large empty shop space had been taken over as Snowdrop HQ. Here there were refreshments, artwork, cakes, cards, related stalls, and the results of a photographic and poetry writing competition. Over the weekend there were other events, including a parade to Jams Allen's grave to plant some snowdrops, and a ramble in a local wood. It was great to see so many people gathering in the town on Friday. I hope the whole weekend was a success as the Shepton Mallet Snowdrop Festival is planned to be an annual event...
Friday, February 10, 2017
Monday, February 6, 2017
It is that time of year when thoughts turn to love! I have recently completed a valentine's display in the gallery featuring lots of hearts, in all sorts of media. Amongst the display is this set of three wooden dishes, which I have decorated.
The insides were collaged using sheet music, a vintage New Musical Express paper, and a paper napkin. The outsides were covered with plaster filler, before being painted in shades of violet. The edges were painted with gold, which became distressed when I waxed the dishes - inside and out.