Friday, August 29, 2014

BOOKMARKS FOR CARDS

I enjoy making collaged bookmarks as they make a good alternative to cards and I can try out ideas on a small scale.  My latest is to mark a friend's 60th birthday - 'Sensational at 60' on one side and a stylised vase of flowers - deliberately done in the style of Mary Quant and the 60s on the other.   I rarely work on one at a time, so also illustrated is the other one - 'Stressed spelled backwards is desserts. Coincidence? I think not!' - with another stylised floral design on the other side.

For these works, I took a photocopy of a black and white place mat to cut out the vases.  Photocopying or scanning favourite textiles, flat objects, such as, feathers, leaves etc. is a useful resource of papers to collage. The blue background is decoupage paper of jeans pockets. I could have scanned some of my stash of vintage denim for a similar effect.  For the flowers, I used simple shaped punches and hole reinforcement rings.

No comments:

Post a Comment