Thursday, February 13, 2014

TAKE ONE QUOTE

Take one quote, (I have found Pinterest is a treasure trove for this), one small wooden panel (10cms x 10cms),  paper, paint, and voila, here is my latest artwork.  I normally like to attribute quotes to the author, but in this case, I don't know where it originated from, but I think it is a great quote!

'Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul' - mixed media collage
I usually work a lot larger, so I find using my usual layering technique on such a small scale quite a challenge. I find it difficult to get sufficient detail in these dimensions. To overcome this problem, I use images from my previous artworks that have been scaled down, and sometimes altered on my computer. They are then printed, cut out and applied to the artwork. In this case, the background is maps of the Lake District taken from an old road atlas, and arrows from old dressmaking patterns and the biker image is from a much larger artwork. I printed the quote out on my computer and went around the edges with a black marker pen before adding with matt acrylic medium.  I splattered the whole thing with metallic gold paint before finishing with a matt UV acrylic varnish for protection.

Although these small wooden panels are designed to hang, they sit nicely on a shelf, so I decided to take the design around the edges and make the back as tidy as the front. It just lacks some of the final layers and images of the front and sides.

No comments:

Post a Comment