Friday, November 22, 2013

NEVER STOP LEARNING

The front cover
It is a couple of years since I have been on an artwork course.  It is always stimulating to learn something new and meet like-minded people.  You never stop learning and every tutor has something unique to say. Now that I am really into mixed media and collage, it seems that the best workshops for what I want are in the United States. With that in mind, I bought a new book to join my large collection.  I love reading how different artists approach their work and the techniques they use.  I also like flicking through my collection for inspiration.

My new book is Creative Paint Workshop for Mixed Media Artists by Ann Baldwin.  It contains many useful tips and ideas, particularly for layering. It has kept me reading from cover to cover and has made me think a bit more about what I am doing. I do tend to approach some works with a hit and miss attitude which sometimes results in me covering up too much of the underneath layers which I would have liked to show more of, or, when I do a final varnish, some of the media runs, as it wasn't completely waterproof and I hadn't tested it.  I usually just carry on until I get a result which I am happy with, but with Ann's tips, I could have saved myself that anxiety!

It is a lovely book which I would recommend.  It is full of Ann's beautiful artworks with explanations on how she achieved them.



No comments:

Post a Comment