Thursday, August 15, 2013

GOING OVER THE EDGE

Whenever I work on canvases, I always use the ones with the deep edges, and use the sides as well as the top for my artwork.  The smaller the canvas is the more important this is.  I have just finished doing four mixed media collages (yes, I am still on the butterfly theme), which are only five inches square which doesn't give much space to work on.  However, by going over the edges there is a greater area  to use and I feel it gives it a much better finish, especially when hung on a wall.

The above photographs show the top face of these small canvases while the pictures below show how I have taken the artwork over the edge.


Incidentally, when I work on canvases larger than these, I usually stretch a piece of canvas material over the bought canvas and attach on the back using furniture tacks, so that I have a stronger surface to work on.





No comments:

Post a Comment