Sunday, July 14, 2013

SIZZLING SOMERSET

Yesterday, on the hottest day of the year, so far, I put the roof down on my car and travelled to the lovely purpose-built village hall at Horton, near Ilminster, to visit a workshop run by the friendly ladies of the South Somerset Branch of the Embroiderer's Guild.  In the days when I only did textiles, I used to belong to this branch and went to many inspirational talks and workshops, but on this occasion I went as a guest.

Workshop in progress
The subject was 'Transferring Image & Print', and the tutor was Annette Emms.  It was very interesting and informative, with Annette giving demonstrations and those taking the workshop trying out the techniques and mounting them with their notes in a book, which will be an invaluable source of future reference.  Made me wish I was actually doing the workshop instead of observing! Annette also had some beautiful examples of her work and gave an insight to her inspirations and methods of working.  Visit her website to learn more and find out what other talks and workshops she does.

There are, of course, many different ways of transferring images, but what I liked about the methods Annette chose to use is they do not involve harsh chemicals, so are user-friendly and do not require a face mask!  I shall certainly be trying some of them as they can be used to transfer onto other flat surfaces, not only fabric.

Examples of textiles by Annette Emms

No comments:

Post a Comment