Wednesday, July 17, 2013

CORNFLOWER COMMISSION

Photographs by Dawn Porter

This hot spell of weather has brought out loads of wild flowers.  They seem particularly abundant this year and welcome to see after our bitterly cold spring.  During this time, I have been working on a commission that requested a cornfield full of red poppies and blue cornflowers and incorporating the words - love, peace and harmony.

To get me in the mood, I viewed the wildflower photographs taken by my friend Dawn Porter, who is known as the 'duck whisperer' on Flickr!  As well as flowers, she takes wonderful pictures of the ducks and wildlife surrounding her home. I also took some photos and did sketches before starting the picture.

The artwork consists of many layers, to give the illusion of looking through the cornfield at the wildlife and flowers.  It is bright and summery - a reminder of our mini heatwave!  It has now gone to its new home and I hope it is a cheerful reminder of the hot and sunny weather.


'Love, peace and harmony' mixed media on board (56cms x 90cms)


No comments:

Post a Comment