Tuesday, September 27, 2016

WORKING ON INTUITION!


I  have been trying to do some abstracts from intuition and imagination. These sets of pics show the progression in layers of each one.  Each layer represents a session in the studio, starting from a background layer, which I did not photograph.  The layers, from first to final, are shown from top left in a clockwise order.


I worked on A2 paper (42cms x 59.4cms), mainly in acrylics and oil pastel. I haven't decided what to do with them now.  I might cut them up, especially the one below, and use them as backgrounds for further works or I could mount the whole or part of them, ready to be framed...


I do find it hard to start a piece of work with no idea what the result will be. You have to keep making decisions - colour,  shapes, composition, mood of the piece as you go along!  I have recently been listening to interviews with the artist Robert Burridge.  Before he starts an artwork he writes a page in his sketchbook, listing his concept, colours to be used, composition, title and even what he wants people to feel when they view it!  When things are not going well or he doesn't know how to proceed he can refer to these notes to keep him on track!

I think I am going to try and see if I can get better results...


No comments:

Post a Comment