Sunday, July 20, 2014

DIY PAPER BUNTING

I have developed two methods to make quick and simple paper bunting. Both methods require paper with interest on both sides - old books due to be scrapped are ideal. For example, I have used an out of date road atlas and a child's book. I then cut out simple triangle shapes using my own templates - see map bunting template illustrated. These shapes were then painted on both sides with acrylic wax available from Art Van Go. This coating gives the paper strength, durability and allows you to sew into it.



The next stage is to use a ruler and black marker pen to outline two sides of the triangles. Finally for the map bunting, I turned the top edge over and machine stitched it making a channel to insert the rope. For the child's bunting I used one inch wide braid which was ironed in half and the triangles inserted, tacked and then machined stitched. This bunting has been used to help with window dressing in the gallery. I haven't yet decided what to do with the map bunting.



No comments:

Post a Comment