Thursday, September 19, 2013

OWL CUSHIONS

Owls seem to be popular at the moment, particularly for jewellery.  In October we are making owls our theme for the windows at the One Craft Gallery; so I have started making some owl cushions.  My aim is to make three, but I have only made two so far.  This is my first one, which began life as a sketch that became the paper pattern.  I tried it out in scrap fabric and stuffed it to see if I liked the shape. Then I cut the two sides from some multi-coloured upholstery fabric and the face and wings from a thinner plain fabric which was then covered with bits of materials, mainly sari silk, and sewn deliberately leaving the fringes free.  These were attached and eyes, beak and ears in felted wool and leather were added. It is 48cms high (excluding ears).





Above is the finished cushion with a second one made from some of my recycled denim - bits of dungarees, skirt and jeans make up this owl. The embroidered flowers were already on the section of skirt used.  I added some simple embroidery stitches, machined everything together, leaving the pockets free, so they can be utilised. The final touch was the leather eyes with white buttons. This owl is a completely different shape and 40cms high.



No comments:

Post a Comment