Sunday, August 25, 2013

LAYERING WITH FABRICS

I have just completed some more cards to mount my vintage buttons on. Before I stitch the buttons on, through the front of the card, so they can be removed leaving the card in tact, I wanted to share with you a way of achieving a layered, collaged 'look' using a paper background with fabrics stitched on top.

I start with brown paper, crumple it up and iron it so it becomes soft and distressed.  On top of this I use matt acrylic medium to attach old pages from a book and paper napkins. When dry I apply acrylic wax so it won't tear when stitched into.

A couple of scarves destined for my fabric stash
Now for the fabrics - my favourites for layering are see-through and lacy materials. Chiffon is particularly good. Whenever I visit a charity shop, I look at the scarves. Chiffon scarves are not so readily available these days but you can usually find lovely patterned silky or translucent scarves that are ideal.  I sometimes like them so much that I think I will wear them. However, when a couple of years have past and I haven't worn them (I am more of a thick woolly scarf person), they end up in my fabric stash to be cut up!

Above left is a paper background and, on the right, fabric has been added to a similar one.

I add the fabrics with large stitches, using embroidery threads, then stitch net (the finer, the better) or chiffon, in a suitable colour, over the entire picture and use free machine embroidery over the top.

Finished cards before buttons are added.













No comments:

Post a Comment