Thursday, May 23, 2013

NICE INSPIRATION

I have been to loads of art exhibitions and sometimes an artist's work excites and inspires me to do something different.  This was the case when I first saw Derek Nice's work at the Victoria Art Gallery in Bath, many years ago.  I loved his work so much that I went to his studio, a somerset stone barn, when it was open as part of Somerset Art Weeks, and bought one of his magical boat assemblages.   

Boat Assemblage by Derek Nice (72cms x 62cms)

Derek Nice work is influenced by maritime, archeological themes, myths and legends, and often uses recycled and found materials and objects.  He collects old bits of weathered wood from boatyards and beaches and creates works that evoke the sea that have been formed by the sea.  As he said, when I spoke to him in his workshop, his intention is to find in the essence of sea-going life and not the literal  interpretation of the subject. As well as sculptures and assemblages, he also produces wonderful paintings.

After I had hung this artwork on my wall, I used it as inspiration for the following works that decorate my home.  The frame of 'FY4' is an old tray and is 47cm (height) x 31cm (width) while 'Seadreams' is 60cm high and 'Shell Steamer' is 44cm high.  All the other materials used were found on the beach.  Having looked at these pieces again, I remembered how fun they were to do, so I am planning on going beachcombing soon and doing some more! 



No comments:

Post a Comment