Thursday, August 16, 2018

WOODEN CUBES SPELL OUT 'LOVE'!

One of my latest projects is decorating some wooden cubes given to me by Phil Davis, a wood turning craftsman, who is a member of the One Craft Gallery.  I sanded the blocks and painted them with black gesso, before applying an abstract background design over every face of four cubes.

Then, it was a case of printing or finding images of the letters L O V E. I collaged these onto the blocks, together with other papers.  One cube had four different Ls, one Os etc. to spell out LOVE.

The end result is an artwork which can be put on a shelf and changed according to what facet is shown, and how the blocks are placed.

You may notice that the tops of the cubes are plain black.  This is because when I had finished the sides, it looked too busy and the letters did not show up as much as I would have liked!  I then applied some black acrylic and varnish to complete the project...



No comments:

Post a Comment