Thursday, September 14, 2017

BOOKS TO READ UNTIL I GET BACK INTO THE STUDIO!


The last few weeks I have been unable to do any artwork, due to family circumstances, so, to keep my hand in, I read the above books.

I bought 'Abstract Painting' by Jane Davies as I love her work.  Those of you have followed my blog know I have done several on-line courses tutored by her.  Visually it is stunning.  It is not a book for those who want advice on techniques and materials.  It makes you think and analyse your own abstract paintings and list what factors to consider when working in an abstract way.

If you want information on mixed media techniques and materials, 'Contemporary Landscapes' by Soraya French is the book for you.  It is full of wonderful colour and beautiful artworks.  It has given me inspiration for colour combinations to use when I get back to working on my own mixed media landscapes.

For those, who like me, are reluctant to do detailed sketches as preparation for your artwork, 'If you can Doodle you can Paint' by Diane Culhane, is a great book.  It is less intimidating than traditional sketching books. I found it very encouraging and has some useful exercises that I am going to practice as soon as I get back into my studio...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment