Sunday, March 5, 2017

SMALL IDEAS FOR LARGER WORKS


These six samples are postcard sized, and are inspired by doors and doorways.  I did them for a sketchbook that I started at the beginning of the year, looking for images or symbols representing each month, that I can use as a starting point for larger abstract paintings...

As January is named after Janus - God of the Doorway, doors seemed an appropriate subject to explore. The techniques used were, layering of acrylic paints, and scratching through.  To finish off, I covered both sides with clear acrylic wax, and added lines of machine stitching.  I can see that, some of these designs and colour schemes, could work as the basis for interpretation into much larger artworks...  

 

2 comments:

  1. They are super. Did you work quickly or slowly when you painted these? I am starting out on the art journey, and watching the Great British Painting Show, I am fascinated in the techniques.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beverley, these were done in stages as they do contain a number of layers. I work on them all at the same time, taking each one as far as I can before getting stuck! I then leave them and go back and look before deciding on my next move. Sometimes I ask friends for ideas on how to proceed. In this case, my textile artists friends suggested that I added the stitching and this took me onto the next stage. Some needed very little after that, while others took some more sessions until I felt they were finished. The actual painting is quick but completion is slow! Good luck with your art journey.

      Delete