Friday, July 24, 2015

SAUCY SEASIDE


Sun, sea and sand has been brought to the gallery's window this week!  I made some shell gift bags; Lizzie, our fantastic hat maker made some bunting; and Caroline, who is also responsible for the window design, made some cute paper sailing boats.  You can see a couple of my seaside artworks in the two white boxes at the bottom centre of the front window.

I brought in some vintage Lexicon letters to spell out - 'I do like to be beside the seaside' and some copies of Donald McGill's 1930s saucy postcards to display.  I did some research into him when writing a dissertation on the artist, the late Beryl Cook, as he was one of her main influences.  21 of his postcards were banned as obscene in 1954 but 5 of them have been reprinted by the Donald McGill Museum on the Isle of Wight in recent years.



No comments:

Post a Comment