Wednesday, June 11, 2014

COLLAGED BOOKMARKS


I have found that making bookmarks is an ideal vehicle for doing a collage warm-up for larger pieces.  I do several at one time so one can be left to dry while I am doing the next stage on another one.

I experiment with different backgrounds and play with different materials.  I can work quickly and spontaneously without having to worry too much.  I make use of scrap papers left from other projects and small images, such as stamps, that can get lost on larger pieces of work, and I can try out various ways of adding text.


For the supports I have used recycled materials - inner cardboard rolls from kitchen paper, offcuts of mount board or long, thin greetings cards with front and back glued together.  Sizes are 2 - 3 inches in width and 8 - 9 inches in length.  Holes were punched in the end and cords added. The finish is a layer of acrylic wax which gives them a slight sheen and makes them durable. The bookmarks are double sided - the illustrations show both sides.

I enjoy making these as I believe that people keep them longer, as compared to greetings cards, although according to my friend who works in a library, many bookmarks get left behind!



No comments:

Post a Comment