Monday, May 6, 2013

COVERS IN A JIFFY

Padded envelopes ready for transformation
I remember, when I first got my laptop, being attracted to a case that looked like a brown padded envelope.  In the end I didn't get it, and in fact, I never got round to getting a cover.  Now that  I am doing my blog and use my mac book even more, I had the idea of making a case out of a used jiffy bag - great for recycling. I used acrylic matt medium to stick on torn up letters, photocopies of a photograph of me as a child and scraps of napkins.  I then doodled and put on layers of paint. In my recent clear up, I discovered a whole bunch of old letraset sheets which were used for graphics in the days before desktop publishing.  These were used for some of the lettering.  It was finished with a protective layer of acrylic wax.  For a fastener I have used a couple of buttons and elastic cord. I found that I needed to put a button backing on the button on the flap as the thread and needle tore into the paper and material glued on as a backing inside the case.

My computer case with two iphone covers and a more masculine phone protector.

I have also made several covers for mobile phones using vintage copies of the New Musical Express, various images including photocopies of my own work, decoupage paper, and napkins.  They then had inks and doodles applied and were also finished in acrylic wax.  Not sure how well they will stand up to everyday wear so I have given them to friends to road test! It is the magnetic bag fasteners that I have used that worry me. They hold so well that force is required to open them so that they could eventually dislodge.  As my padded bags weren't small enough, I cut them in half vertically and reconstructed them to the required size. I carefully sealed all raw edges with masking tape before starting the glueing and layering process.  If I had my sewing machine (it has gone in for service - the first time for years!), I would probably have done some stitching, especially around the outer edges, and would have used fabric braid around the outside, instead of strips of paper.

I don't think these covers are commercially viable, but they are fun to do as a personal project and I am enjoying using my new computer case.



   ,

No comments:

Post a Comment