Friday, February 22, 2013

MODEL MAGIC


'Seashore'  (30.5cms x 30cms)
I was working in the gallery yesterday and talking to customers about my beach pictures, which are part collage and part assemblage. I was asked what I had used to model the various elements, such as, the seagull, mermaid and the lighthouse in this artwork.  It was Crayola Model Magic, which is a soft squishy modelling material which is easy and fun to use and, unlike normal modelling clay, does not stick to your hands.  When I have finished sculpting the design, I leave it to dry overnight and then paint it.  It is lightweight and spongy, even when dry, and can be easily joined to the finished piece.  I also found it extremely useful to stuff inside shells to create a surface for attachment.


'I do like to be beside the seaside'  (34cms x 26cms)

In this work, the sun and some of the beach huts are created in Model Magic. The huts were punctured with holes before drying so they could have string put through them.


No comments:

Post a Comment